Fridays in September 4th, 11th, 18th, 25th : 7 PM – 9 PM
Jaycee Park Center for the Arts, 1975 Puritan Dr. Irving TX 75061
Welcome! We’ll have some fun each Friday learning how to make abstract art.
My name is Aidan: As a former school teacher and abstract artist, I’ll walk you through some key styles so you can make art which is expressive and imaginative! The goals of this class are:
– to have fun making abstract art
– to introduce you to the techniques of 4 styles of abstract art
– to learn from the artists before us and to familiarize yourself with these movements
– to activate your imagination so you will create outside class
1. Matisse’s Paper Cutouts: some basics on color and abstraction
2. Abstract Expressionism: a burst of color and movement
3. Picasso’s Cubist Drawing: abstraction from real objects
4. Basquiat’s Neo-Expressionism: no-limits painting abstract faces
– Acrylic paint (at least red, blue, yellow, black and white, but more is better)
– paint brushes, both small and bigger (at least a 2 inch brush)
– Construction paper
– Scissors and glue
– 9 by 12 Multi-media paper (3-4 per student)
– 16 by 20 stretched canvas (1 per student)
– Charcoal pencils
– Crayons (if possible)
– Oil Pastels
– Scratch paper
– Water cups
– paper towels
RESERVATION REQUIRED – Please note that students may be required to wear a mask and have a temperature check before entering the classroom. Class limit of 10.
Cost: Instruction is FREE but a materials fee is required: $25 for IAA members; $35 for nonmembers. Pay through PayPal – bring to the first class if you haven’t paid through PayPal.
REGISTER (Age 17+)
Sponsored by the Irving Art Association.