May 27 – June 29, 2018
Cash and Merchandise Awards
This year we are introducing the category of 3D to our annual members only competition. We have acquired a new glass cabinet (space is limited–only works 12″ tall or less).
Our juror this year will be founding IAA member Pete Fernandez. She exhibited and won a prize in the very first year of the members competition, now 63 years ago. Curator is Susan Murray.
Exhibit Location: both the East and West Galleries at the Jaycee Park Center for the Arts.
We will accept entries both online (no images required) and also on May 26, Intake Day. All entries meeting requirements will be accepted into the show as long as there is space.
Because you save us volunteer labor, entering online will be $30 – a $5 discount. Deadline for early online registration is May 25 and images are optional also – if included they may be used in publicity.
As in prior years, we will have a Challenge Award for a special theme. This year it’s Cubism, and participation is optional.
Intake day is Saturday, May 27, 10am – 2pm. Registration fee for artwork submitted on intake day is $35. Those members who have registered previously online will deliver their work too.
For information on entering, check the Rules as posted in the Prospectus: IAA2018MembersExhibitProspectus
Online Registration ($30 – $5 discount) DEADLINE May 25 – no images required
Thursday, May 25, 2018 – Online entry deadline
Saturday, May 26, 2018 10am – 2pm – Deliver artwork (for work entered previously online & also for registration at intake)
Sunday, June 10 – Reception & Awards: 2-4pm
Saturday, June 30 – Strike Date 10am – 2pm
- July 15 – August 27 IAA Winners Exhibit at the Irving Art Center’s Dupree Lobby, 3333 N. MacArthur Blvd., Irving TX 75062 (63rd Challenge entries will be included)
- Option to travel to the West Irving Library for July 1 – Sept. 30 6th Annual IAA Summer Exhibit
A quick summary for 2018 — for complete rules: IAA2018MembersExhibitProspectus
- Must be an IAA member for the 2017-2018 or 2018-2019 dues year. If you haven’t paid your dues, click here.
- All entries must be original and completed within the last three years.
- SPECIAL CHALLENGE AWARD: Cubism
All types of subjects are accepted into the show, but all artists are requested (not required) to enter at least one artwork illustrating the theme of Cubism for the Special Challenge Award. Note: no nudes.
Challenge contenders will also be judged within the media categories and will be invited to participate in the IAA Winners Exhibit traveling to the Irving Arts Center in July.
Categories: Oil Painting; Water Media; Mixed Media/Misc.; Dry Media; Photography; 3D (new for 2018). Supports: canvas, panel, paper, or yupo. Note: for rules on these categories, see the Prospectus.
Artwork must not exceed 36” x 36” framed nor be heavier than 20 lbs. NO EXCEPTIONS.
- Artwork must be framed and wired. Plexiglas only for work over 16″x 20″ (exception pastels). No saw-tooth hangers. Wrap around canvas or cradled panels at least 1″ deep painted or finished on all sides.
- Competition will be juried for awards. All entries meeting requirements will be accepted into the show as long as there is space.
- Fee: $30 for 1-3 entries online. ($5 discount for online entry& payment) Deadline May 25. No images required.
$35 fee for 1-3 entries at intake on Saturday, May 26, 10am – 2pm.
Pete FernandezIAA is proud to announce that the one of its founding members, Ada “Pete” Fernandez, will be our juror.Pete has been a resident artist of Irving, Texas since 1951.Her formal training was at the University of Georgia, Wesleyan Conservatory of Art and Music in Macon, Georgia. However her studies with artists such as Reveau Bassett, Ramon Froman, Bob Tommey broadened her education.
Pete joined the Irving Art Association shortly after coming to Irving, taking part in its first exhibition showing a portrait that won alternate scholarship state awards, as a senior in high school.
Pete was recently honored in 2016 with retrospective exhibits at the Irving Arts Center in April & May and at the Jaycee Park Center for the Arts in June & July.
Works by Pete Fernandez: